6 "oddities" of owners of animals that annoy others
Ekaterina Kastritskaya, psychologist, specialist in animal therapy, consultant on animal behavior and well-being
Owners of animals sometimes cause bewilderment or even irritation in people without pets. What “oddities” of animal owners sometimes annoy others?
- “They love animals more than people!”There are indeed convinced misanthropes among animal owners, but they are still a minority. However, the majority of pet owners consider pets to be family members and favorite creatures. And we always treat relatives and loved ones (both animals and people) more warmly than just acquaintances, and even more so strangers. So there is nothing strange in the fact that his own dog is much more valuable to a man than that passerby. And the person who pronounces the phrase "This is just a cat!" automatically enrolled in the list of enemies. Another thing is that the freedom of each of us ends where the freedom of the other person begins, including “that passerby”, but this rule applies in both directions.
- “They choose such terrible topics to talk about!” People around you can start to shudder nervously when at lunch a discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of anthelmintic preparations for animals suddenly begins. Well, what can I say? The level of squeamishness is inversely related to the experience of "animal possession".
- “They can talk about their animals forever!”T-shirts with the inscription: “Run! At one time” were very popular in online stores. This person can talk about his horse (dog) without stopping! ” The owners of the animals were thrilled.
- “They talk to animals!”“What's so strange about talking to a cat?” - the cat owner will be amazed. - “After all, ignoring her questions is extremely impolite!” Talking to animals is perfectly normal. True, I recall the case when a man who came to ride horses, after listening to how private owners communicate with their horses, enviously said: “Who would talk to me like that!” His wife was standing next to her. Well, what can I say? This is a question for his wife, and not for the owners of the animals.
- “They constantly decline invitations!”Sometimes friends who are not burdened by the presence of animals are offended if the "special" ones refuse to invite to a party or a joint trip, motivating it with the fact that a furry friend needs to be walked and fed on a schedule. And sometimes they completely stop inviting animal owners - it's still useless. And if the “dog owner” nevertheless honors the event with his visit, this will cause extreme amazement of those around him.
- "They spend too much money in vain."Yes, keeping animals is not cheap. But to consider other people's incomes and expenses is a thankless task. And as for the "sightness" of expenses - everyone measures happiness with his own measure. And "useless" animals give a person too much to measure with money.
No matter how others around the "oddities" of the owners of animals belong, the main thing is that they be happy - albeit in their madness. And those who want to criticize will always find something to pour out their irritation, even if there are no animal owners nearby.